Monday, April 25, 2005

YES!

The Joker to the Thief is proud to endorse the YES vote to the French referendum to the Constitutional Treaty. Unfortunately we are quite aware that this endorsement is of little [OK – honestly, I should say absolutely “no”] significance BUT we like saying that anyway…

We will have more postings on the issue and will explain in greater details our choice. I have personally read most of it – although I browsed through part of Section III. It seems to me to be an honest compromise between different political trends.

One thing though is that I refuse to let politicians hijack my vote by taking advantage of the fear and anger of many people, or by blaming everything going wrong in this country on Europe and Brussels, or by using this for their own personal agenda and ulterior political motives, and it seems to me that it’s [mostly] all what the “NO” side is about.

People certainly have the right to be angry with their government's policies, but they are wrong to mix the issues. The referendum needn’t become a mid-term protest vote against an ever more unpopular government. We just have to wait two more years for that, and then we’ll get a kick!

And as Shakespeare once wrote: 'Present fears are less than horrible imaginings.' [Macbeth, I. iii.134]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|