Happy Birthday to the Euro (€)
- The Euro] will change the political character of Europe in ways that could lead to conflicts in Europe and confrontations with the United States.” - Martin Feldstein, writing in Foreign Afffairs, 12/199
- “The Euro Will Arrive, but Then Beware the Deluge”“EMU [Economic Monetary Union] will fail to work as designed and may instead pull Europe into an economic abyss.” - International Herald Tribune, 4/25/1998
- “It will not work.” - George Will, 12/31/01
- “The European single currency will fail economically, politically and socially” - Margaret Thatcher, 3/19/2002
But now, there is a consensus that the Euro is benefiting the national economies, especially in this time of economic crisis.
- Times Online (Murdoch-owned): The market has spoken: long live the euro.
- AP: Euro currency turns 10; seen fulfilling promise.
- Forbes: After a decade of highs and lows, Europe’s single currency is going strong.
- Deutsche Welle: Euro Turns 10 as Experts Heap Praise on Single Currency.
- Wall Street Journal (Murdoch-owned): The single European currency, born on New Year’s Day in 1999, is a rare economic shining star of the past decade.
Below is the Eurozone (in blue)