Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The American Bed.

The other day, I was walking through the bed section at Macy’s downtown Boston, and something struck me – nearly all the beds were half covered by decorative pillows. That is something distinctively and uniquely American which is prevalent in upper-middle and upper class homes. I don’t remember that was the case 20 years ago, but I have seen it more and more in American homes in the last few years.

Personally, I don’t like that decoration and even find them esthetically unappealing - it’s like having cake with too much cream on it. As you can see on the pictures above (from Macy’s website), it is rather excessive. But what is most surprising is how impractical the whole thing is in the land of pragmatism. Obviously, you are going to have to put the pillows on the floor to go to bed and put them back on the next morning. What is the point?

What I wonder is what makes people put all those pillows on their beds? What is it that they find so attractive about them? I asked around and most people were unable to explain that to me. A few suggested that it gives them a sense of plentifulness, abundance and even luxury. Still, I wonder where the idea came from. I tried to google it, but apparently, no one has yet probed this ‘fascinating’ question.

As for me, I much prefer the sober and more refined Japanese style:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|